Saturday, June 7, 2008

20th high school reunion debrief

Class reunions are officially too much information for the brain to process.  I didn't recognize some, but I recognized most people there.  Well, most of my classmates who bothered to show up all still look pretty young to me.  I, as predicted, won the award for the man who changed the most since graduation.  I'm reassured that is a good thing.  I was able to catch up on who is dead, who had babies, and where everyone is living, if not an indication of how they are living.  I'm pretty proud of James Smith, who turned out to be a great guy and a deputy sherriff.  Lynn, who married the brother of one of my high school friends, and looks the same as she ever did.  Gloria, who has had two sets of twins and looks like she stepped off the runway at fashion week.  Stephanie asked about Igor, her singing partner in chorus (inside joke from 21 years ago).  The most shocking thing is how many folks live in the Oklahoma City metro or the Dallas/Metroplex area.  Tony Brown dragged me to the movies for the afternoon and updated me on the dirt.  It was good to see Tim Shoals again; he runs a charity for underprivileged children.  Andrea, who raised a kid for a few years while his parents were in prison, is such a sweetheart.  I could go on and on.  Mandy, who organized the thing, even though the service at the restaurant was not so good, did a pretty good job with the details.  I hope she publishes the pictures online, because I know I'm in a LOT of pictures.  Everyone exchanged email addresses.  I suspect a flood of oh-by-the-way emails over the next few weeks.  There were a lot of questions raised about the ones who were missing.  Funny stories were exchanged.  I had a good time.  It was so good to see Toni, Garnetta, Niecy, Tab, Kevin, Derrick, etc.  It really is a shame that we've all been out of touch.  I'm sure I'll be doing some LinkedIn searches soon to reconnect with some of these folks.  It was agreed that we should have another reunion in five years.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a good time...I think my class was saying they would be doing this year..I need to find out...hope you have a good week!  Hugs,TerryAnn

    ReplyDelete