Friday, February 13, 2009

Brainbench

Last night, I was cleaning out my office bookshelf, and I found a folder full of certificates. One of them was from 2000, and it was the Brainbench "Unix Administrator" certification. I logged into the account after quite a bit of guessing, and found that Brainbench had my Oklahoma City address! I haven't lived there since 2000. My Unix Administrator certification had expired or otherwise disappeared. They charge a nominal fee for most exams, but some of them are free. I took a Cisco Network Support exam for kicks, and because it was free. I teach this stuff, I hope I know it! I used only my brain and scored in the 99th percentile. I'm sure I missed a queuing question, a QoS question, and an obscure TCP question. I think I nailed the rest of it. I don't have the QoS bit flags memorized, and I don't get much chance to configure queuing, class maps, or policy routing.

Individual Test Results - Actionable Data Just For You

Test: Cisco Network Support
Date: 14-Feb-2009
Score: 3.97
Weights: 100% Cisco Network Support
Elapsed time: 23 min 3 sec
Cisco Network Support
Score: 3.97
Percentile: Scored higher than 99% of previous examinees

Demonstrates a clear understanding of many advanced concepts within this topic. Appears capable of mentoring others on most projects in this area.
Strong Areas

* Routing Protocols
* Traffic and Device Management
* LAN Switching
* WAN Connectivity

Weak Areas

* Advanced Technologies
* Hardware Architecture
* TCP/IP

Your results are now posted to your online account. You can log on to your account anytime via the Brainbench home page.


I think that's a pretty fair assessment.