Friday, August 22, 2008

What's black and green at the same time?

I've heard of some really silly ideas for saving energy, but this one really hit home.  It's a version of Google with a black background instead of white.  It's called Blackle.  Supposedly, the monitor uses less power to display black than white.  While Blackle is powered by Google, it lacks a few Google features, so I'm not ready to make it my default search engine.  I just took iGoogle and made the background black and used the sleek black theme.  That's way better than Blackle already, plus it has my widgets, so I have traffic, weather, engadget news, and a wikipedia search box all right there.  I already use the Zune theme for XP, so that's already really dark.  The first thing I do in whatever editor or terminal program I'm using is make the background really dark blue and the text light gray.  I'm not nostalgic for WordPerfect, it's just easier on your eyes, if you stare at a screen all day.

2 comments:

  1. There are around 14 different versions of “black google” online. The best one I’ve found is www.cleanblack.com. Cleanblack is the only version that allows you to change the text colors of the google search results. Try it yourself by going to www.cleanblack.com/theme/

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it's such an attractive color scheme, too!

    ReplyDelete